Congregation Beth Ohr - History

In the beginning, Bellmore had no synagogue.  With the  construction of new homes south of Merrick Road in the 1950’s, a Jewish population began to emerge.  In the Fall of 1958, a small group of Jewish families decided Bellmore should have its own synagogue.  In January 1959, our congregation was formally organized.  At the time, services were held in various members’ homes.  Soon, it became apparent a building would be required to accommodate regular Sabbath services and our religious school program.  

A home for the congregation was found on South Centre Avenue.  As more families joined the temple and enrolled their children in our Hebrew School, the congregation quickly outgrew its home.  The “Little House of Worship” was already too small to hold many temple functions.

On November 20, 1961, a momentous meeting was held in the Winthrop Avenue School auditorium.  The congregation expressed its faith in the future by voting to construct a new building on their recently purchased property.  Ground was broken the following spring and the South Shore Jewish Center was ready for Rosh Hashanah services in 1962. 

Sat, November 18 2017 29 Cheshvan 5778